Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Some Things To (Hopefully) Get Me Started

1.  I can't decide what makes you stupider:  
1.  Sports Talk Radio  
2.  Country Music Radio Stations  
3.  Reality TV Shows

2.  Getting started is imperative to finishing anything.  

3.  I slow-cooked this Boston Butt.  I tried to mimic North Carolina Barbecue.  But I didn't have the ingredients.  I didn't have the energy and time to do it right.  So my finished product wasn't great.  It was (barely) edible, but it wasn't great.   There is a lesson here.  But I can't determine what exactly the lesson means.  Maybe the lesson is that the Boston Butt is really insignificant in the grand scheme.

4.  This A-Rod book could be an interesting character study if Pat Jordan did it.  I am not old-school, but there seems to be too much inuendo and unnamed sources in Roberts' work.  Pat Jordan would have followed A-Rod around for a week or six months and captured his ego-mania with specific quotes and stories.  

5.  This one is complicated, so bear with me.  I wonder when some one will start a (Swine) Flu research foundation.  I have always had an issue with people who have been directly affected by a disease or situation starting foundations and raising money for these or other related foundations.  Michael J. Fox comes to mind.  He is a good guy and has done a lot of good things.  But if he started raising money for heart disease or cancer or AIDS, I would have more respect for him.  "I have Parkinson's disease, but AIDS affects a lot more people and is more devastating."  The idea being that it would be less self-serving more utilitarian and encourage cynical (people who believe in incentive-theory) people like myself.  The point here is that there are a lot of good causes and flu research is one of them, but the relative importance of these is very subjective.    


2 comments:

Sam said...

I think #5 explains a big part of why the world is so messed up. I don't think it comes naturally to people to equate the marginal benefit of charitable contributions across dollars. Some diseases are extremely expensive and affect relatively few and others (malaria, diarrhea, etc) are incredibly cheap to treat yet kill millions annually. Maybe this is something Robin Hanson should be writing about, but I think in general what is likely to kill us or the ones we love is not what scares us the most. I am not sure how one goes about fixing that.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/04/what_to_fear.html

Wannabe Bastiat said...

Me neither.