Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Thoughts This Morning

1. I haven't blogged in a while.

2. Blogging isn't a bad thing to do in the morning. At least I am doing something.

3. What would I say in an interview at Wal-Mart? I would probably talk about high-margin items like produce, and how Wal-Mart could capitalize on local products. I also think stores need better faces. They need produce and meat managers who know or at least act like they know frequent shoppers. I also think Wal-Mart should take the Dyson philosophy and be proud that their stores work. This is more complicated. Fortunately, I do not have any interviews lined up with Wal-Mart in the near future.

4. I have said this before. But Cowen's "Get something done every day" becomes truer with every day I don't get anything done.

5. I have donated the Blazer. It was sad. I probably could have gotten a few hundred dollars for it from a junkyard, but some times you just have to let go.

6. I cannot get interested in sports. I hope the Rays win the AL East. But I really don't care. I think the NFL and college football is pretty uninteresting. Maybe the playoffs will get me fired up, but I doubt it.

7. I find my my current colleagues, co-workers, cohort to be somewhat uninteresting. This says more about me than them. But I have seen a lot of good people come and go. I tend to retreat inside of myself when I get bored and disinterested. This is probably not a good trait. It is a worse trait to talk about other people who you don't really know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As to number 7, I can't say that I really 'get' or understand much of my cohort. They are bright folks, about once a month someone surprises me with a pretty sharp idea, but I have no clue what makes them tick.

That said we are all too worried about publishing in top journals. While an AER article might help your personal career, that in itself doesn't have any returns for society. This is what I need to keep telling myself.

A professor was describing a journal article in class this week. One of the students asked so what? The professor replied "not much ever came of it, but at least he published in AER..."

ML said...

Most people don't know what makes themselves tick. Which is why it is hard to understand them. At least you don't have to cringe every time the guy behind you decides to get up and move. I am all for re-wearing clothes, but 3 days in a row when it is warm out?

Wannabe Bastiat said...

I can't wear clothes for more than two or three hours before the smell starts to sneak out.

The journal thing has really gotten me down. I have not met anyone who has progressed in this profession who cares about what their articles say or what they do or who they inspire. It seems to be much more about articles and not what do the articles mean.